Hope is a thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.-Emily Dickenson

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Halcyon Days

I am being proactive about selecting my totem bird for 2008. I decided that I cling to much to the vulture. Vultures represent cleansing and purification. I am not at all suggesting that is a bad thing. Just 'everything in moderation'.

I appreciate vultures because they take on an undesirable role in cleaning up the world. They prevent bacteria from spreading and causing disease. I also tend to be appreciate the underdogs, it whatever capacity. I think vultures are underappreciated and therefore I appreciate them. Again, not necessaily a bad thing. But I recently realized that I may identify too much with the underdog, or the underappreciated, or the victim role. Vultures take what is left over and discarded.... I am trying to be intentional about asking for what I want in the world, in many different ways, and not just taking the leftovers, no longer living in fear of scarcity. There simply is enough of everything that I need to go around.
So I have chosen a bird that I have always been fond of. The kingfisher. One of the things this bird represents is prosperity.

Also, ironically enough, we happen to be in the season of the kingfisher...

According to Greek legend, Ceyx and Halcyon were wed. Shortly thereafter Ceyx had to make a long voyage and he drowned during a storm. Halcyon waited for his return for months. Then one day his body washed ashore. In her grief she threw herself into the ocean. The gods were moved by her love and grief. She and her husband were turned into Kingfishers and were reunited in love and peace. The Gods then declared that from one week before the winter solstice through one week after it, the seas would be calm and sun would shine. This time of peace is called the "Halycon Days"

Kingfishers also represent:
  • Connection to peaceful seas
  • Happiness and love
  • Peace
  • Indifference to surroundings
  • Clear vision through emotional waters
  • Ability to dive (focus) into emotional waters and catch ones dreams
  • New warmth
  • Sunshine
  • Prosperity
  • Love

I don't know if one can intentionally select a totem, or if they have to come into your life first to become your totem... but I can use all of the above in 2008, so I am putting it out there and claiming it! and as a disclaimer, I actually stalked an illusive kingfisher on my retreat into the woods and did capture a few very pixelated photos!

3 comments:

LadyBurg said...

I love it. You little 2 you - so healthy and strong. I like the Kingfisher. Very pretty and significant around my B-day. I'm feeling good about this bird for you.

And now I appreciate vultures (after having met you) so I'll carry on that part for you!

RedHeronCurrents said...

Thanks! Oh so glad to hear you are carring on some vulture appreciation... I was struggling with the guilt!

LadyBurg said...

No guilt needed. I've got you covered!