Hope is a thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.-Emily Dickenson

Friday, June 22, 2007

What if...

Today I was introduced to my first case of the "what ifs". It knocked the wind out of me for quite some time, and is likely not gone yet. Words of wisdom from a wise friend...
"...there are no what ifs, there is only what is"
and something to the effect of...
"Kelly, you ain't that big and bad that you could have controlled, prevented or changed this"
She's right, of course. I suppose this is just part of my process... I was a little surprised by the "what ifs". They definitely sneaked up on me. Three months ago, I was angry when it was suggested that any one could have done any thing differently to have achieved another outcome. Everyone did the best they could, right? RIGHT?

Back to the simple point of it... it just simply is... that's all.

It is.

2 comments:

rachelerin said...

I was trying to find some helpful deep quotation about the "what ifs" but I haven't found one yet and I need to get back to work. I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know I am thinking about you. Those "what ifs" can be seriously rough. When those waves of grief run over you, you gotta be careful with that undertow.

RedHeronCurrents said...

Thanks, Rach. So, I found that those "what ifs" are extremely susceptible to bourbon. Apparently, so is my dignity, in that I hear there was chocolate being flung across Mel's dining room...by me...but I digress...
When all else fails, I recommend drowning the little bastards.
Thanks for your words and compassion.