Hope is a thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.-Emily Dickenson

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

South Beach Diet

I have decided that I would like to shed a few pounds and rid myself of some food addictions I have. Diabetes runs rampant in my family. Sugar is my natural enemy.

I am approaching day 11 of the 14 day Phase 1 plan of this diet. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. However, I am not sure if that's the train coming right towards me... or is it the light beckoning me to another realm?
I am actually doing pretty well at this stage. A week ago today, I thought I would kill someone for a snickers bar. I don't really even like snickers! I also have several witnesses that can attest to my overall weepy, cranky, and borderline psychotic behavior due to sugar withdrawal. My mental state has now achieved its normal balance and I am down 6.5 pounds.

I found that after the 4th day, I stopped having the taste for sugary substances. Sure, they still look good, but I am not craving them anymore... at least not in my concious state.

Last night, I awoke from dreaming of cinnamon rolls. Fresh, hot out of the oven, ooey, gooey, sweet nectar of the gods, cinnamon rolls. In my dreams, I am processing all that I can't have in my life right now. It's therapuetic, I suppose. I did wake up longing for what's no longer available to me. It is however, helping me answer the age old Kelly question of what do I want, versus what do I need.

I find life lessons in everything.

No comments: