Hope is a thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.-Emily Dickenson

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Can't see the Forrest for the trees? Retreat Part 2



I wander around deep in the woods, seeing beauty all around. Feeling connected to nature and God- and feeling grounded and happy- seeing owls in the middle of the day, butterflies landing on my leg and shoulder, watching a green heron fish in the lake for hours, then taunt me with a nearby visit.

Feeling at one with all becomes a visual thought while watching my shadow move across the landscape and become part of the shadows of the trees. Watching the shadows merge, I have never doubted less the one-ness of all things, all beings.

Even still, frustration turns in me, as I still can't seem to find Forrest's presence. It does eventually occur to me that I may be a bit stubborn (OK, so it's not a new thought). Am I looking too hard- beyond all the magic that is happening all around me? Maybe he is here- in the Forrest surrounding the lake, near the heron, maybe he is the heron- Forrest was quite the fisherman in his day. I will try today to not look so hard for answers and signs, and believe that I did see the Forrest- and the trees- and I will enjoy the peace that brings.

No comments: