Hope is a thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.-Emily Dickenson

Monday, April 30, 2007

Cave Hill Cemetary (Part One)

While on a stroll through this beautiful cemetery, Katie and I see the perfect tree for climbing. Seriously, it was begging to be climbed. So Katie, ever so gracefully, ascends the tree. See below:

I decide that I must also ascend the tree. Fortunately, my camera was on the ground and no where near Katie's hands, because what ensued thereafter was not nearly as elegant of a display as I had envisioned. All of 3.5 feet from the ground, my legs, feet, arms and hands are clinging to the trunk with every once of energy I had in me. I remained perched for what seemed like 15 minutes, but was perhaps only 1 minute, pondering how I would descend should I go any further, then... actually how will I descend if I don't go any further. Fear gripped me, as I gripped the tree. After calmly expressing to Katie that I felt I was in a somewhat serious predicament, she suggests I simply drop to the ground as it wasn't that high. That seemed logical except that there was no good place for my feet to land on solid ground... there were many roots intertwined below, and as mentioned in a previous post, broken bones were my friend as a child, and I am trying to avoid them as an adult. OK, so I found footing and was able to reach ground mostly unscathed. A few scratches and some quivering muscles all over my body were the only reminder of the event. Katie graciously did not make fun of me... not even once!

Today, almost three days later, I still have achy muscles. I am either too old or too out of shape to attempt this again (surely not both?!). Next time I see a similar tree, my thinking will be, "what a perfect tree for Katie to climb"!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...excellent pics...and great storytelling, too!

can't wait to go back...

oh, and i'm PRETTY SURE that's my checkered arm in your profile pic :)

Anonymous said...

so. maybe i'm crazy, but i assume that since 'cave hill cemetery: part one' exists, there should be 'part two' following? though i have been waiting and WAITING...

perhaps i've got it all wrong?