Hope is a thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.-Emily Dickenson

Monday, May 14, 2007

Lake Eden Arts Festival

If you have never been to LEAF in Black Mountain, NC (just outside of Asheville), I highly recommend going at least once.

This was the 7th time I had been to LEAF, but the first time I had camped. Here's one view from our tent. This is absolutely no representation of the sea of tents among us. Although we were camping on top of each other, everyone at LEAF always seems to be wonderfully tolerant, liberal and like minded folk, and therefore it's not at all like camping, oh say at Deam lake, amongst drunk obnoxious folks; not to say that many of these folks were not drunk, just not obnoxious or angry.


Things I learned while camping this weekend:

  • That extra pole that came with my tent, the tent I have owned and used many times in the past 7 years or so, is not really an extra pole, and should not be left at home. It really goes to the rain fly that helps keep us dry in case of rain... the rain fly doesn't do as good of a job without this pole; as learned Friday night while Molly and I slept on a raft (air mattress) in a puddle, and Rachel made due with a much smaller floatation device, also known as a ground pad.
  • It's a good idea to waterproof a tent; thanks Rachel, I'll work on that for future camping experiences.
  • Although it is not necessary to bring everything but the kitchen sink when camping, I feel so much better knowing that I have four flashlights, two pocket knives, a kitchen knife with a built in cheese slicer, a roll of paper towels (although I didn't use even one) a roll of (soon soggy) toilet paper, a big box of matches (although we were not allowed to build a fire), and numerous other miscellaneous items. I am nothing if not (over) prepared.
  • Requesting a candle from a trip to town isn't as easy a task as it seems (a guest blog entry regarding this story would certainly be welcomed here).
  • Text messaging is a wonderful thing while roaming around a huge hippie festival.
  • I prefer to never go camping without Molly, as she rolled up all sleeping bags and the air mattress and pretty much broke down camp with no assistance, while Rachel and I were off waltzing, leaving only the tent to come down later.
  • I may never be able to put my tent up again, but the company and the weekend were well worth it!
  • I somehow acquired the leftover wisconsin white cheese (sorry, but thank you) and found that when bananas are stored in the cooler everything absorbs their flavor, as discovered as I write this entry while eating a banana flavored grilled cheese sandwhich.
  • Another visit to NC is necessary soon, as I didn't get much quality time with Bryony. :(
  • Molly and Rachel are two of the finest folks I know, good people indeed. Warm, welcoming, loving, accepting, appreciative, responsive, nurturing, wise, supportive, amazing listeners, helpful, hopeful, inspiring, and beautiful and wonderful in so so many ways.

  • I am lucky to have such beautiful and wonderful friends; chances are, if you are pictured here, or are even simply reading this, I have a crush on you; like the dog I must have been in a previous life, it's puppy love indeed. Pat me on the head and scratch me behind the ear and I'll love you forever. Fact is I love everyone who has been so supportive and nurturing to me lately. It is so appreciated and needed... thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I'm in one of the pictures - does that mean you have a crush on me? Oh, yeah, I already knew that!
Back atcha!

I am SO glad you came to LEAF (Lake Eden Arts Festival, for the civilians at home). I, too, am bummed that we didn't spend enough time together.

I loved your friends. Molly and Rachel are way cool (thanks for the wine, the water and the laughter and for being loving, kind friends to Kelly). I hope they go in October, too!

I have to say - I have been going to LEAF for over nine years and I don't recall being that baked before. This year was weird because in the sea of hundreds of fun-loving hippie-folk of all ages I could spot acquaintances from Penland School of Crafts (where I work) and friends from my Buddhist group, friends of my parents etc...so I was no longer anonymous, like I used to be.....

My favorite two lines from the weekend:

Kelly - "I can't feel my ankles"
and
me - "I'm on 'turtle time', dude" as a man walks by, unbeknownst to me, with a t-shirt bearing those very words!

Big fun.

Love you Kelly,

Bryony

rachelerin said...

I had a fabulous time at LEAF too! Thanks so much for introducing Molly and I to it. You are a fabulously wonderful, caring and considerate friend.

AND...I pledge to help put the tent back together when I am next in Louisville. Now that I have had some down time I will have the patience for such things.

AND...I will write up the 'looking for the Melanie candle' story someday when I don't have too much work to do (unless Molly beats me to it)

big "hearts"
Rachel