Hope is a thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.-Emily Dickenson

Monday, August 21, 2006

I can read!

I have been unable to successfully read a book from cover to cover in over 5 years. I have always enjoyed reading, even as a young'un, but have seemingly had an aversion to it lately.

I set the task before my friend Dott of finding a book that I could make it through. She succeeded, and I have completed two dott recommends books since!
She started me out gently on Hoot, a young adult novel by Carl Hiaasen. I had never read any of his books before, but had always heard great things. This was a perfect start for me, as it takes place in Florida (my origins), it's about birds (my obsession), and is quite humorous(my need as of late).

That eased me in to the next pick, Lamb; The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal Absolutely hilarious! I think this is the funniest book I have ever read. As Christ has to remain pure, Biff goes out and experiences the world and tells the Messiah all about it. While Jesus learns about the Bhagavad Gita, Biff learns about the Kama Sutra, they then exchange lessons. Here's a bit I found immensely enjoyable:

While Biff has been studying the Kama Sutra, he has learned to replicate the illustrations very well. Here, he and Jesus (called Joshua) discuss the fact that his drawings are improving.

"I'm using the calligraphy techniques we learned in the monastery, only using them to draw figures. Josh, are you sure it doesn't bother you, talking about this stuff when you'll never be allowed to do it?"
"No, it's interesting. It doesn't bother you when I talk about heaven, does it?"
"Should it?"
"Look, a seagull!"
Thanks, Dott! I am presently working on my third "dott recommends"!

1 comment:

Dott Comments said...

Hey, that might be a new blog idea.

Thanks!