Hope is a thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all.-Emily Dickenson

Monday, September 19, 2005

Ice Cream

So, I have this thing about ice cream. Well, maybe I have several things about ice cream. First and foremost, it is the perfect food. It can be eaten at (or for) any meal, anytime, almost anywhere. Secondly, I think Sarah McLaughlin has some issues. I have never met anyone whose love was better than ice-cream. I don't even think it is a possiblity.
I prefer my ice cream a little on the soft side. It doesn't have to be the soft serve kind, in fact, that's my least favorite type of ice-cream... Of course I wouldn't ever turn it away. I like it to be just slightly melted, the perfect blend of frozen and creamy. I never buy ice cream at the grocery, because I'm afraid I'll eat it all in one sitting. Today, I have realized my fears are not without warrant. I did buy some ice cream to share with some friends after dinner last night. Although we did finish the derby pie that was accompanying the ice cream, we didn't finish the 1.75 quart container of vanilla bean ice cream. So, this evening, mere moments ago, I got a spoon and sat on the couch eating the ice cream directly from the carton. I quickly realized that I wasn't getting what I really wanted. I really wanted that soft slightly melted consistency. Instead of waiting for that perfect moment... I just kept eating. Only occasionally fulfilling my longing, by scooping around the edges of the carton, where by holding with my knees, it had melted perfectly. The only problem was that I was eating it too quickly for it to get to that desirable state. All the while, I knew this was happening. I even kept thinking to myself that I might actually eat less, if I were getting exactly what I wanted and needed... yes, ice cream is a need, not merely a want!
That lead me to thinking about my romantic relationships. Some very startling revelations hit me. 1) I like my women like I like my ice-cream... a little soft and not too cold. 2) I need to wait for the right person and the right time to be with them. 3) Apparently, I need to continue working out all that co-dependency crap, and getting what I need from myself and other areas of my life, and not continually gorging myself on unhealthy things that don't even make me happy! 4) If I ever find someone whose love is better than ice-cream... I might just give it up! And maybe I'll quit eating ice cream too!

4 comments:

Shephard said...

... I think anyone who says love is better than ice cream probably has not tried real Italian Gelato... it's amazing. And I'm not even an ice cream fanatic. My favorite flavor? Their Orange-lemon is heavenly, their Mocha was amazing, their green apple startling, but their chocolate is divine.
Fun read. ~~S

RedHeronCurrents said...

I have never tried Gelato. The name isn't very appealing to me, but apparently I am missing something great. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I agree about the Gelato name...not real appealing. I have had it though. Flavor-wise I have no suggestion...I believe that to be a personal thing. I do though, highly recommend it be eaten on a friday evening after a delicious Bardstown road meal.

RedHeronCurrents said...

when are we heading to Bardstown road then? I need someone to introduce me to Gelato; and I'm always up for a delicious Bardstown road meal!